Monthly Archives: May 2016
10 simple ways to save energy and money this summer:
- Set your air conditioner thermostat as high as comfortable – we recommend 78ºF or higher when you’re at home, and 85ºF when you’re gone. Keep inside air vents clear from furniture and other objects.
- Have your central air conditioner tuned up and clean or replace filters monthly for more efficient operation.
- Minimize indoor heat: run the dryer and dishwasher at night on hot days and let your dishes air dry. Avoid heat-generating incandescent lighting and use a microwave, toaster oven or outdoor grill instead of the oven. It's best to avoid the use of major appliances between 2 and 8 p.m.
- Set your water heater to 120ºF.
- Keep the blinds and windows closed during the day and open at night. This is a no-cost way to keep your home a little cooler.
- Window, ceiling and whole-house fans are also low-cost ways to stay comfortable.
- Wash clothes in cold water and clean the lint filter in the dryer after every use.
- Unplug appliances and electronics when not in use. Plug home electronics, such as TVs, DVD players and computers into power strips and turn off the power strips when the equipment is not in use.
- Eliminate, or deactivate, extra freezers or refrigerators if you can, especially if they spend the summer outdoors or in a garage. Free refrigerator recycling may be available in some areas.
- If you have a pool: consider slowly reducing pool filtration time by 30 minute increments daily. Keep on reducing the time as long as the water appears clean. You may find you only need to run your pool filter six hours a day. Install a timer to control the length of time that the pool pump cycles on.
If you have questions, or need your A/C unit serviced - give Fix My AC a call today - 1-800-673-4922.
This picture is a close up of the electric connections at the compressor which is inside the condenser or A/C unit. Why should you care?
This type of failure happens time to time. It sometimes causes the whole compressor to fail. But many times it does not. So if the reason why your A/C stopped working is burnt electric-wire endings make sure that these get replaced before giving up on your whole unit. Or better yet. Call Fix My AC Inc for a second opinion.
In this particular case, we tested and replaced the electric endings with special connections. We were able to activate the compressor and got this client’s over 20-year-old A/C working again. Our reward for this repair was the look of relief on the client’s face when we announced the good news to him.
“IF IT CAN BE FIXED, WE WILL FIX IT.”
Call us to have your Air Conditioning unit checked out – 1-800-673-4922
Scheduling a spring maintenance appointment with Fix My AC, your Orange County CA HVAC Professional can ensure that your HVAC system is ready to go when warmer temperatures arrive. Spring is an ideal time to perform home maintenance tasks in preparation for summer fun ahead. Additionally, by scheduling your appointment off-peak for repair and replacement seasons, you can often receive faster service for your system.
Here are four of the most important tasks to include in your spring AC system maintenance routine.
Trim Grass and Brush: Trimming away tall grass, weeds and brush from around your outside condenser unit can reduce the risk of overheating and failure for this equipment. Rinsing off the condenser with a garden hose can remove dust and debris that may have built up on the unit over the winter months. A little attention now can pay off in improved performance when the mercury starts to rise this summer.
Replace the Air Filter: Regular replacement of your air filter is essential to protect your indoor air quality and to prevent unexpected breakdowns this summer. Over time, air filters break down and release fibers into your HVAC system. By replacing these components as part of your maintenance routine, you can enjoy cleaner, healthier indoor air while reducing the risk of damage to your heating and cooling equipment. Fix My AC, your Orange County, CA air conditioning service professionals can often provide expert guidance on the right air filter for your cooling system.
Clean Your Registers: The vents and registers that deliver conditioned air to your home can accumulate a thick layer of dust in a relatively short time. Dusting and vacuuming these air vents can reduce the amount of dust and particulate matter in your home. If you notice an excessive buildup of dust, however, it may be time to schedule a comprehensive duct cleaning service to ensure the healthiest indoor air for your family. Dust and debris in your ductwork can also add to the workload of your HVAC system, causing it to break down more quickly. By keeping registers clear of debris and blockages caused by dust, furnishings and closed vents, you can help your air conditioner to work more efficiently and to provide optimal comfort this summer.
Inspect Your Thermostat: Your home thermostat are the brains and control center for your entire HVAC system. Ensuring that this device is performing properly is critical to your indoor comfort this summer. If your home is still equipped with a manual thermostat, it may be time to consider an upgrade to a modern programmable model. Some of the key features of these advanced electronic devices include the following:
- The ability to program temperature levels to correspond with your family’s needs an activities throughout the day and night
- Control over temperature levels through a centralized interface or online from anywhere with a secure Internet connection
- Lower overall costs for cooling your home
By programming your new thermostat to allow higher temperatures during daytime hours when no one is at home and to cool down your house when you are due back from work or school, you can potentially save a significant amount on your cooling bill this summer.
While these maintenance tasks can help you get a good head start on your preparations for summer, they cannot substitute for a professional check-up from the experts at Fix My AC in Orange County, CA. As a leading Orange County and Irvine air conditioning repair provider, we offer comprehensive maintenance, repair and replacement services to keep your family cool and comfortable during hot Orange County, CA summers.
By scheduling your check-up and tune-up today, you can avoid the early summer rush and ensure that your system is up and running as soon as the temperatures start to rise.
Give us a call at 1-800-673-4922 to schedule your spring maintenance visit today. We look forward to helping you stay comfortable this summer.